[openstack-dev] [neutron] PTL candidacy

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Jan 25 17:59:51 UTC 2017

Catching up on the thread, lots of good thoughts.

I don't think there is disagreement here around how Networking API
should evolve in terms of vendor extensions. As Kevin suggested, we
don't want to advertise API extensibility without Neutron team
supervision.

One of the reasons behind current api-ref effort that includes moving
API definitions from all stadium projects into neutron-lib - and
vouching for new API changes in scope of this single repo - is to
transform Neutron from a shallow API controller that allows to plug in
opaque API modules into a single API with consistent behavior, review
practices and standards.

I would go as far as to say that once that effort is complete, we
should start looking for ways to discourage (if not forbid) API
pluggability not proxied through proper in-neutron-lib review process.
It's one thing to allow plugging in different networking backends that
all implement the same Networking API behavior; and it's completely
different to allow those plugins to change Networking API to the point
where you can't even tell if it's open API guaranteed to work in other
environments.

Yes, there is concern that Networking API doesn't move as quick as
some vendors may want. We can address that with streamlining review
process for new API definitions. As long as an API proposal makes
sense not just for one specific backend, and is defined in general
enough terms, I think we can go with expedited review procedure.
Indeed we should probably reconsider how we enforce reference
implementation completion before an extension is allowed in.

Ihar