[openstack-dev] [zaqar] PTL Candidacy

Fei Long Wang feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Jan 25 01:53:52 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I've had the pleasure of serving the Zaqar community as PTL for the past
three cycles, and I'd like to continue for Pike cycle, if you'll have me.

For Pike release, things I'd like to do:

1. Scalability
   A scalable service should be able to process increases in load
without obvious degradation of latency or availability. For Zaqar,
"load" can refer to various dimensions of usage:
   1) number of queues
   2) number of publishers
   3) number of subscribers
   4) number of messages
   5) size of messages
   6) rate of messages published or consumed
Luckily, we have merged the OSProfiler patch in Ocata, so it would be
nice to leverage it to do more benchmarks to improve above metrics.

2. Availability
   Fortunately, Zaqar has a simple architecture which makes keeping its
availability relatively easy. That said, we need to improve the
behaviors of Zaqar so that it can gracefully failing over in a way that
is unnoticeable to end users.

3. Latency
   Latency is a typical time-based measure for the performance of a
system. Obvious, Zaqar would like to minimize latency wherever possible.
There are two most important latency metrics I would like to improve in
Pike are:
   1) The amount of time to claim a message
   2) The amount of time to deliver a message from publisher Zaqar server
   3) The amount of time to deliver a message from Zaqar to subscriber

4. Encourage diversity in our Community
   We are still a small team needs to grow. I would like to encourage
more people, organizations to join Zaqar community to make sure we have
a good coverage.

It's a fantastic experience working with this amazing team and I know
without the dedication and hard work of everyone who has contributed to
Zaqar we can't make those success stories of Ocata happen. I would be
pleased to serve as PTL for another cycle and I'd appreciate your vote.

Thanks for your consideration!

--
Cheers & Best regards,
FeiLong Wang (王飞龙)
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington