[openstack-dev] [Neutron] PTL Candidacy

Edgar Magana edgar.magana at workday.com
Tue Jan 24 23:24:24 UTC 2017

You just made me remember my time as police man for Neutron plugins!  ☺

Edgar

From: Sukhdev Kapur <sukhdevkapur at gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Neutron] PTL Candidacy

I remember good old days when CI was introduced in Neutron (during Icehouse time frame). There was excellent momentum behind it. We did not know some of the enforcement details, which created lots of confusion/havoc.

Now that we have a better understanding of the past issues, and lots of good ideas to address them, I think it is appropriate to reactivate the process.
As to Jeremy's options, I think option B makes the best sense - the driver author/owner should bare the burden of declaring a driver/plugin compatible.

cheers..
-Sukhdev

On 2017-01-24 10:51:39 -0800 (-0800), Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:50 AM, Kevin Benton <kevin at benton.pub> wrote:
> > I'm on board with getting visibility into the drivers with improvements to
> > driverlog, etc. What I'm uncertain of is providing much in the lines of
> > 'validation'. Core reviewers don't frequently have access to the hardware or
> > software required to validate these drivers so we can't be sure if the
> > features really are working as expected.
> >
> > If validation is as flexible as you highlighted in the email, we can at
> > least get it to a point where all recent CI runs are linkable from driverlog
> > and people can see recent tempest runs. I don't foresee the Neutron team
> > getting to a point soon where we vouch for certain drivers though just
> > because it is so hard to keep up with their changes (even ignoring changes
> > in the vendor hardware itself).
>
> Good point. We may guide plugins and drivers on how to set up CI; we
> may help Foundation to set up Marketplace in such a way that would
> allow to automatically consume test artifacts from driver owners; we
> may provide guidance to Foundation about which features are more
> important to reflect that in Marketplace; but I would hope we don't
> put the Neutron team on the hook to validate each driver, or even
> police CI owners to produce consumable results. (The stick in the
> latter case would be driver not showing up in Marketplace, or showing
> up with no feature support information.)

I guess the question I have is who, then, can tell our
operators/users what Neutron drivers are reasonably supported? It
sounds like you're saying Neutron developers are not well-placed to
determine that, which leaves us with these other options:

A. Have the OpenStack Foundation as maintainers of the Marketplace
   decide which Neutron drivers are usable (they don't really staff
   for this purpose so would be throwing darts I think)

B. Trust the driver authors to declare whether they're supported and
   what features they provide (maybe that works better than I
   expect?)

C. Identify another party with a vested interest in validating
   driver support (a board of operators from different organizations
   maybe?)

D. Provide links/aggregation of QA/CI and let the consumers attempt
   to divine supportability for themselves (seems a bit downstream
   hostile)

Are any of those options preferable?
--
Jeremy Stanley