[openstack-dev] [Neutron] PTL Candidacy

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 24 21:29:51 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-24 13:10:26 -0800 (-0800), Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
[...]
> > I guess the question I have is who, then, can tell our
> > operators/users what Neutron drivers are reasonably supported? It
> > sounds like you're saying Neutron developers are not well-placed to
> > determine that, which leaves us with these other options:
> >
> > A. Have the OpenStack Foundation as maintainers of the Marketplace
> >    decide which Neutron drivers are usable (they don't really staff
> >    for this purpose so would be throwing darts I think)
> >
> > B. Trust the driver authors to declare whether they're supported and
> >    what features they provide (maybe that works better than I
> >    expect?)
> >
> > C. Identify another party with a vested interest in validating
> >    driver support (a board of operators from different organizations
> >    maybe?)
> >
> > D. Provide links/aggregation of QA/CI and let the consumers attempt
> >    to divine supportability for themselves (seems a bit downstream
> >    hostile)
> >
> > Are any of those options preferable?
>
> I think it's B, but under Neutron team supervision. As a first step,
> we would need to come up with an objective way to compare existing
> drivers, and anarchy in how they execute tests, set up environment,
> and publish artifacts won't make it easy.
[...]

Thanks, that's reassuring. I took your previous statements to
indicate a much more hands-off approach than your reply suggests.
This does seem at least compatible with the mix of in-tree and
out-of-tree driver tracking and feature matrices being done or
planned by the teams responsible for other services, so I have hopes
we can ultimately come up with a converged model that's not too
onerous to aggregate in the Driver Marketplace.
--
Jeremy Stanley