[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] [operators] Optional resource asking or not?

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Tue Jan 24 21:22:18 UTC 2017

> No. Have administrators set the allocation ratios for the resources they
> do not care about exceeding capacity to a very high number.
>
> If someone previously removed a filter, that doesn't mean that the
> resources were not consumed on a host. It merely means the admin was
> willing to accept a high amount of oversubscription. That's what the
> allocation_ratio is for.
>
> The flavor should continue to have a consumed disk/vcpu/ram amount,
> because the VM *does actually consume those resources*. If the operator
> doesn't care about oversubscribing one or more of those resources, they
> should set the allocation ratios of those inventories to a high value.
>
> No more adding configuration options for this kind of thing (or in this
> case, looking at an old configuration option and parsing it to see if a
> certain filter is listed in the list of enabled filters).
>
> We have a proper system of modeling these data-driven decisions now, so
> my opinion is we should use it and ask operators to use the placement
> REST API for what it was intended.

I agree with the above. I think it's extremely counter-intuitive to set
a bunch of over-subscription values only to have them ignored because a
scheduler filter isn't configured.

If we ignore some of the resources on schedule, the compute nodes will
start reporting values that will make the resources appear to be
negative to anything looking at the data. Before a somewhat-recent
change of mine, the oversubscribed computes would have *failed* to
report negative resources at all, which was a problem for a reconfigure
event. I think the scheduler purposefully forcing computes into the red
is a mistake.

Further, new users that don't know our sins of the past will wonder why
the nice system they see in front of them isn't doing the right thing.
Existing users can reconfigure allocation ratio values before they
upgrade. We can also add something to our upgrade status tool to warn them.

--Dan