[openstack-dev] [aodh][vitrage] Aodh generic alarms

Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL) ifat.afek at nokia.com
Tue Jan 24 11:49:22 UTC 2017

Hi Julien,

Before I reply to everything you wrote, I would like to ask a question that seems to be the core issue here.

On 24/01/2017, 12:58, "Julien Danjou" <julien at danjou.info> wrote:
    On Tue, Jan 24 2017, Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL) wrote:

    > We understood that Aodh aims to be OpenStack alarming service, which is much
    > more than an ‘engine of alarm evaluation’ (as you wrote in your comment in
    > gerrit).

    Well, currently it's not really more than that. We've been to the path
    of "more more more and more" in Ceilometer and I don't think anybody can
    say it had great results – so you can understand how unadventurous and
    cautious we are in adding more things in Aodh.

Vitrage, and I assume that other projects, needs an “Alarm Manager”. The role of an Alarm Manager is to store all alarms in the system, keep their history, notify on changes, etc.  Vitrage does not declare itself as an Alarm Manager, mainly because we understood that this is the role of Aodh.

From what you wrote, I understand that you do not see Aodh as an Alarm Manager. Is this correct? If so, how would you define the Aodh role? Also, if Aodh is not meant to serve as an Alarm Manager, where does this functionality belong in your opinion? Is there a need for another project for this purpose, or perhaps you disagree with the need for such a central alarming repository?

Best Regards,
Ifat.