[openstack-dev] [tripleo][puppet] Preparations for Ocata release in RDO

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso amoralej at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 12:30:55 UTC 2017

Hi,

In RDO we are preparing for the incoming Ocata release. This means
we'll create a new RDO Trunk builder "centos-ocata" in the next few
days (It will be ready for next week). This builder will get content
from stable/ocata branches of projects as they become available and
fallback to master for those not branched yet. The repos created by
this worker will be published under
https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-ocata/ (which will not longer be
a link to https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-master/).

According to the feedback received during the last release cycle, we
are changing the way we do the transition this time so that
repositories content will be more accurate to what is expected at any
point in the cycle. Repos under centos-master will allways follow
master branch and centos-ocata will get stable/ocata as soon as repos
get the branch created.

This has some implications from the upstream projects point of view:

- Projects using repositories under
https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-ocata/ will start getting
packages for content delivered in stable/ocata branches instead of
master. Repos in https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-master/ will
keep getting packages for content in master branch.
- Anyone currently pinning to a specific hash repo under
https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-ocata/ should move it to use
https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-master/ as soon as possible. Note
that pinning to a specific hash is not recommended practice.
- With current job definitions, link current-tripleo promoted by
upstream TripleoCI will promote repos with content from master
branches and not stable/ocata after creating the ocata builder. We
think this is not the desired situation during RC period and we must
keep promotion of current-tripleo link for stable/ocata until
cycle-trailing projects are tagged. This will require some changes in
both Tripleo-CI and RDO-CI, please let us know your thoughs so that we
can agree on the best way to implement this and start working on it.

Best regards,

Alfredo