[openstack-dev] [cinder] Can I use lvm thin provisioning in mitaka?

Marco Marino marino.mrc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 10:07:46 UTC 2017

Hi, I'm trying to use cinder with lvm thin provisioning. It works well and
I'd like to know if there is some reason lvm thin should be avoided in
mitaka release. I'm trying to use with
max_over_subscription_ratio = 1.0
so I don't have problems with over subscription.
I using thin provisioning because it is fast (I think). More precisely, my
use case is:

- create one bootable volume. This is a long operation because cinder
download the image from glance, qemu-img convert in raw format and then
"dd" copy the image in the volume.
- Create a snapshot of the bootable volume. Really fast and reliable
because the original volume is not used by any vm.
- Create a new volume from the snapshot. This is faster than create a new
bootable volume.

Is this use correct? Can I deploy in the production environment (mitaka -
centos 7)
Thank you