[openstack-dev] (dis)Continuation of Neutron VPNaaS

Bruno L teolupus.ext at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:41:06 UTC 2017

Hi,

November last year the Neutron team has announced that VPN as a Service
will be no longer part of Neutron[1].

We run a public cloud based in New Zealand called Catalyst Cloud[2]. Our
customers find the VPN service extremely useful to integrate their cloud
tenant's with on-premise infrastructure or even other clouds. We have
almost one hundred VPNs that were established by customers using it.

While customers could run a compute instance with something like VyOS, they
are used to the convenience of having a service managed by us that is easy
to consume via the APIs or dashboard. It would be a step back for us to
discontinue VPNaaS.

As a result, we are interested in picking up the development of VPNaaS and
keeping it alive. If like us, you are an organisation that sees value in
VPNaaS, please get in touch with me to discuss how we can collaborate on it.

As a first step, we would like to ensure that it continue to pass CI and it
is free of major bugs. Then, we would like to address some of the points
raised in the VPNaaS scorecard[3] to bring it up to standard with other
Neutron services. We don't envisage introducing new features during this
period, but rather focus on stability and maturity.

Could someone from the Neutron team please help us with the questions below?
1) What would be the process to transfer ownership of the project?
2) Until we bring it up to standard, would we need to maintain it as a
separate project, or as part of Neutron?

Cheers,
Bruno

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-November/107384.html