[openstack-dev] [TC][Glance][Nova][TripleO][Heat][Mistral][Ironic][Murano] Glare

Mikhail Fedosin mfedosin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:13:28 UTC 2017

Glare does not compete with Swift, it uses this service as one of the
possible backeds. On the whole I should note that in some cases the use of
Swift is excessive: for example, for small files (a few kilobytes), it is
easier to store them directly in the database. And Glare just let you do
this - to keep large files in stores like Swift or Ceph, and use a more
appropriate location for small ones.

Plus, Swift does not provide data immutability. Where is the guarantee that
user won't change his files in Swift or completely remove them? Glare
manages this behavior and provides full immutability for stored data,
regardless of the backend. In general, to address these immutability issues
Glance was invented in due time. But now we see that its functionality is
not enough and it's really hard to extend it.