[openstack-dev] [requirements] changing the order of values in upper-constraints.txt

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Jan 18 21:34:56 UTC 2017

When I tried to merge the upper-constraints updates for the library
releases we did today, I ran into quite a lot of merge conflicts
with the Oslo libraries. I'm exploring options for reducing the
likelihood that those sorts of conflicts will occur with a few
patches that change how we generate the constraints list.

The first option is to insert some blank lines into the file so
that we won’t be changing consecutive lines. I don't know if this
will actually work, because it's not clear we have sufficient control
over the git context range. Still, for the sake of argument see
https://review.openstack.org/422205 and https://review.openstack.org/422251
for the sample output.

The second option is one proposed by Dirk which changes the name
to remove common prefix values. This one is rather simple, and it's
possible explain to a human who wants to add a new line to the file
by hand how to figure out where it goes. See
https://review.openstack.org/422225 and https://review.openstack.org/422239
for the sample.

The final option uses a SHA1 hash of the name as the sort key. It
wouldn't be easy for a human to update the file by hand, but we
could make a tool that does. I don't know how often that case comes
up, so I don't know how important it is. See
https://review.openstack.org/422245 and https://review.openstack.org/422246
for the sample output.

I don't expect us to change this right now, but I had the time to
spend on it today and I thought it would be useful to have something
put together before we get to Atlanta.

Doug