[openstack-dev] [architecture] Base services

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jan 18 14:39:00 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

In OpenStack all components can assume that a number of external
services will be present and available for them to use (think: a message
queue), but we never had a clear name to describe them or a clear list.

Work has started[0] within the Architecture working group[1] to prepare
a definition for those "base services", a current list and a process for
growing that list.

This definition step is a prerequisite before we can have more strategic
discussions about adding new base services (like a distributed lock
manager or a secrets vault) that all OpenStack components could take
advantage of.

You can weigh in on the currently-proposed review[2], propose your own
change to the document, or join in future Architecture WG meetings[3] to
help us make progress on that. Once solidified, the proposal will be
pushed to the Technical Committee for final discussion and approval.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/421956
[1]
https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/arch-wg/tree/doc/source/index.rst
[2] https://review.openstack.org/421957