[openstack-dev] [devstack] issues with requiring python3 only tool?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jan 17 16:36:55 UTC 2017

In attempting to get local.conf support into devstack-gate and grenade,
some of the more advanced merging scenarios of local.conf fragments have
surpassed anyone's desire and ability to do this in awk. So I started
down the path of moving the ini file and local.conf manipulation code
into a python tool that's currently being prototyped here -
https://github.com/sdague/devstack-tools

When putting the cli interface on it, I discovered python3's argparse
has subparsers built in. This makes building up the cli much easier, and
removes pulling in a dependency for that. (Currently the only item in
requirements.txt is pbr). This is useful both from an ease to install,
as well as overall runtime.

Short term, this is only going to be in grenade, which only runs on
Ubuntu today, where python3 is easy to have access to.

But as we expand this into devstack-gate and devstack, it will put a
hard python3 dependency on those environments. Is this an issue in the
Centos 7 land (or any other platforms)?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague