[openstack-dev] [heat][tripleo] Heat memory usage in the TripleO gate during Ocata

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 14:21:18 UTC 2017

On 11/01/17 09:21, Zane Bitter wrote:

> From that run, total memory usage by Heat was 2.32GiB. That's a little
> lower than the peak that occurred near the end of Newton development for
> the legacy path, but still more than double the current legacy path
> usage (0.90GiB on the job that ran for that same review). So we have
> work to do.
>
> I still expect storing output values in the database at the time
> resources are created/updated, rather than generating them on the fly,
> will create the biggest savings. There may be other infelicities we can
> iron out to get some more wins as well.

Crag and I discovered that we were accidentally loading all of the
resources from the database when doing a check on one resource
(basically meaning we had to read O(n^2) resources on each traversal -
ouch). The patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/420971/ brings the
memory usage down to 2.10GiB (10% saving) and has given us a few other
ideas for further improvements too.

- ZB