[openstack-dev] [all] [barbican] [security] Why are projects trying to avoid Barbican, still?

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Tue Jan 17 07:36:51 UTC 2017

On 17 Jan 2017, at 01:19, Brandon B. Jozsa <bjozsa at jinkit.com<mailto:bjozsa at jinkit.com>> wrote:

Inline

On January 16, 2017 at 7:04:00 PM, Fox, Kevin M (kevin.fox at pnnl.gov<mailto:kevin.fox at pnnl.gov>) wrote:

I'm not stating that the big tent should be abolished and we go back to the way things were. But I also know the status quo is not working either. How do we fix this? Anyone have any thoughts?

Are we really talking about Barbican or has the conversation drifted towards Big Tent concerns?

Perhaps we can flip this thread on it’s head and more positively discuss what can be done to improve Barbican, or ways that we can collaboratively address any issues. I’m almost wondering if some opinions about Barbican are even coming from its heavy users, or users who’ve placed much time into developing/improving Barbican? If not, let’s collectively change that.

When we started deploying Magnum, there was a pre-req for Barbican to store the container engine secrets. We were not so enthusiastic since there was no puppet configuration or RPM packaging.  However, with a few upstream contributions, these are now all resolved.

the operator documentation has improved, HA deployment is working and the unified openstack client support is now available in the latest versions.

These extra parts may not be a direct deliverable of the code contributions itself but they make a major difference on deployability which Barbican now satisfies. Big tent projects should aim to cover these areas also if they wish to thrive in the community.

Tim

Thanks,
Kevin

Brandon B. Jozsa