[openstack-dev] [all] [barbican] [security] Why are projects trying to avoid Barbican, still?

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 21:32:13 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:

> As for operators, If the more common projects all started depending on it,
> it would be commonly deployed. Would the operators deploy Barbican just for
> Magnum? maybe not. maybe so. For Magnum, Ironic, and Sahara, more likely .
> Would they deploy it if Neutron and Keystone depended on it, yeah. they
> would. And then all the other projects would benefit from it being there,
> such as Magnum.

Agree.

The problem is, was one project created just for being used together with
other OpenStack projects or it could be used perfectly in standalone mode?
There are a lot of projects nowadays in OpenStack besides the several most
important ones (Nova, Cinder, Neutron, Keystone, Glance, etc.). Most new
projects will say they can be used separately without necessarily in
OpenStack deployment, the question is, what are the advantages of the
project over the existing solutions? If the operators could get more
benefit by deploying and maintaining a new service than using a
pre-existing one?

>From my perspective (maybe I'm wrong), many projects are struggling in
OpenStack world, and at the same time, they are not that competitive with
solutions outside OpenStack world.

Just my $0.0000002

Cheers,
Lingxian Kong (Larry)