[openstack-dev] [all] Improving Vendor Driver Discoverability

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Mon Jan 16 19:20:58 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-16 01:19 PM, Jonathan Bryce wrote:
>> On Jan 16, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Jay S. Bryant <jsbryant at electronicjungle.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/13/2017 10:29 PM, Mike Perez wrote:
>>> The way validation works is completely up to the project team. In my research
>>> as shown in the Summit etherpad [5] there's a clear trend in projects doing
>>> continuous integration for validation. If we wanted to we could also have the
>>> marketplace give the current CI results, which was also requested in the
>>> feedback from driver maintainers.
>> Having the CI results reported would be an interesting experiment. I wonder if having the results even more publicly reported would result in more stable CI's.  It is a dual edged sword however. Given the instability of many CI's it could make OpenStack look bad to customers who don't understand what they are looking at.  Just my thoughts on that idea.
> That’s very useful feedback. Having that kind of background upfront is really helpful. As we make updates on the display side, we can take into account if certain attributes are potentially unreliable or at a higher risk of showing instability and have the interface better support that without it looking like everything is failing and a river of red X’s.

You could show the timestamp since the last passing test, rather than
pass or fail as well as how long the driver has been tested. If a driver
has been tested for 2 years or longer and has gone a week since the last
passing test chances are the team is working on a bug, either with the
driver code or the ci system (this can be explained on the page in a
legend of some sort). This gives the reader more context with which to
evaluate comparable drivers regarding their elapsed time since last
successful completion of their ci as well as how long their ci has been
active.

This might be a more useful and consumable approach for the audience
which might have little understanding of continuous integration, its
meaning and its artifacts.

Thanks,
Anita.