[openstack-dev] [congress][oslo.config][keystone] NoSuchOptError: no such option project_domain_name in group [keystone_authtoken]

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Jan 16 16:02:52 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Eric K's message of 2017-01-12 14:31:58 -0800:
> On a freshly stacked devstack (Jan 12), attempting to access
> `cfg.CONF.keystone_authtoken.project_domain_name` gave the error:
> NoSuchOptError: no such option project_domain_name in group
> [keystone_authtoken]
>
> I¹m a little confused because it¹s part of the [keystone_authtoken] config
> section generated by devstack. Could anyone point me to where these options
> are declared (I¹ve searched several repos) and maybe why this option doesn¹t
> exist? Thanks a lot!
>
> Of all the options supplied by devstack under [keystone_authtoken], the
> following were accessible:
> memcached_servers
> signing_dir
> cafile
> auth_uri
> auth_url
> auth_type
>
> But the following were unaccessible:
> project_domain_name
> project_name
> user_domain_name
> password
> username

Options are usually declared in the code that uses them, with a
call to register_opts() either at runtime or when a module is
imported.  You should ensure that your use of the option comes after
its declaration (having the option present in the configuration
file isn't the same as declaring it in the code).

One other important point: Options are not typically part of the
API of a library (at least not for Oslo libs, and we encourage that
same approach for other libs). If the options you need are defined
in a library, look for a public API to call to retrieve the values
or to instantiate objects using the config but without having your
application code rely on option definitions that may change as options
are moved or deprecated.

Doug