[openstack-dev] Pike PTG facilities and remote participation

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 22:09:09 UTC 2017

Hi Thierry,

I have a quick facilities question about the PTG.  I know of at least
one developer who can't attend physically but will be willing to join
via some type of videoconferencing software (vidyo, or blue jeans, or
google hangout).  Do you think it will be possible?  The wifi has gotten
better with each summit (I remember sitting right next one of the wifi
endpoints in Portland and still kept getting dropped; it hasn't been
such a problem at more recent summits), but we're going to be at a much
smaller facility for the PTG.

Anyway, my question is whether it makes sense to plan a few sessions
over video (this dev would probably lead one design session and I'd need
his hearty participation in another -- it's not just that I'd like to
make it possible for someone to follow along, I need the bandwidth to be
sufficient for a really good connection).  So basically, my question is
whether it makes sense to *plan* for remote collaboration, or whether
the remote connection should be looked at as something that might be
nice if it happens, but shouldn't really be planned for.

I realize that the whole point of the PTG was to bring costs down so
that more developers could attend, and I did see your email earlier this
week about the extension to the travel grant program, but nonetheless,
this issue has still come up, hence this email.

thanks,
brian