[openstack-dev] Consistent Versioned Endpoints

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Jan 13 12:39:24 UTC 2017

On 01/12/2017 01:35 PM, Scott D'Angelo wrote:
> TL;DR: Let's discuss Version Discovery and Endpoints in the Service
> Catalog at the PTG in Atlanta.
>
> The topic of Versioning and the Endpoints discovered in the Service
> Catalog was discussed in today's API Working Group Meeting[1].
> A previous ML post[2] claimed:
>
> In a perfect world, every endpoint would return the same type of resource -
> most likely the versions resource as described in the API WG Microversions
> spec. It would also be nice if version negotiation can happen without
> requiring authentication, the easiest path to which would be supporting the
> 'max_version' and 'min_version' fields in the root versions resource.
>
> One problem is multiple versioned service names in the catalog for a
> given service[3], as opposed to a single endpoint that would return
> version info[4].
>
> Can we get to this "perfect world"? Let's discuss at the PTG.....
> It is my understanding that we do not have the ability to schedule a
> time or room for such a cross-project discussion. Please chime in if
> interested, and/or make your interest known to scottda, mordred, or edleafe.

Happy to join in on this, it does seem weird there is no time / space
for such things at PTG.

We actually had a rough sketch of a plan last year here which would go a
slightly different direction, and get that all up into the service
catalog. That also ensures consistent schema enforcement, as it would
all be through keystone.

Definitely need keystone folks in the room to be able to make forward
progress here I think, because part of the tension in the past has been
understanding domain boundaries, and it would be a shame to do a ton of
work in all the projects that could be easily done in one project, just
because of communication gaps.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague