[openstack-dev] [neutron] Confusion around the complexity

Kevin Benton kevin at benton.pub
Fri Jan 13 06:01:12 UTC 2017

If you don't want users to specify network details, then use the get me a
network extension or just have them boot to a public (or other pre-created)
network.

In your thought experiment, why is your iPhone app developer not just using
a PaaS that handles instance scaling, load balancing and HA? Why would
he/she want to spend time managing security updates and log rotation for an
operating system running inside another program pretending to be hardware?
Different levels of abstraction solve different use cases.

Amazon VPC exists (and is the default) for the same reason neutron provides
network virtualization primitives. People moving legacy apps onto these
systems end up needing specific addressing schemes and isolation
topologies.

On Jan 12, 2017 20:59, "Joshua Harlow" <harlowja at fastmail.com> wrote:

Sean M. Collins wrote:

> Joshua Harlow wrote:
>
>> So I don't want to start to much of a flame-war and am really just trying
>> understand things that may be beyond me (so treat me nicely, ha).
>>
>> The basic question that I've been wondering revolves around the following
>> kind of 'thought experiment' that asks something along the lines of:
>>
>> """
>> If I am a user of openstack, say I'm an iphone developer, trying to get my
>> 'game' and associated 'game APIs' setup in a manner that is HA (say
>> fronted
>> by a load-balancer), using my custom image, secure and visible to either
>> an
>> intranet or to the large internet then what is the steps I would have to
>> do
>> when interacting with openstack to accomplish this and what would the
>> provider of openstack have to give to me as endpoints to make this
>> possible.
>> """
>>

> We have a guide that sort of fits this usecase:
>
> http://developer.openstack.org/firstapp-libcloud/
>
> The networking section, can always use improvement:
>
> http://developer.openstack.org/firstapp-libcloud/networking.html

Interesting good to know that this exists; though I still have this weird
gut feeling that the following isn't really what people want to be doing
(though they may have to just because that is what it is):

$ openstack network list
$ openstack network create worker_network
$ openstack network create webserver_network
$ openstack subnet create webserver_subnet --network webserver_network
--subnet-range 10.0.2.0/24
$ openstack network create api_network
$ openstack subnet create api_subnet --network api_network --subnet-range
10.0.3.0/24
$ openstack floating ip create public (1st floating IP)
$ openstack floating ip create public (2nd floating IP)
$ openstack router create project_router
$ openstack router set project_router --external-gateway public
$ openstack router add subnet project_router worker_subnet
$ openstack router add subnet project_router api_subnet
$ openstack router add subnet project_router webserver_subnet

And then:

$ nova boot --flavor m1.tiny --image cirros-0.3.3-x86_64-disk --nic
net-id=953224c6-c510-45c5-8a29-37deffd3d78e worker1

ANNND then:

$ openstack network list
$ nova boot --flavor 1 --image 53ff0943-99ba-42d2-a10d-f66656372f87
--min-count 2 test
$ openstack floating ip create public --fixed-ip-address 10.0.0.2 --port
523331cf-5636-4298-a14c-f545bb32abcf
$ openstack floating ip create public --fixed-ip-address 10.0.2.4 --port
462c92c6-941c-48ab-8cca-3c7a7308f580
$ neutron lb-member-create --address 203.0.113.21 --protocol-port 80 mypool
$ neutron lb-member-create --address 203.0.113.22 --protocol-port 80 mypool

ANDDDD then:

........... (how many more are there, woah)