[openstack-dev] [tripleo][diskimage-builder] Status of diskimage-builder

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 19:11:42 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> With the containerization[1] of tripleo, I'd like to know more about the future of
>> diskimage-builder as it relates to the tripleo project.
>>
>> Reading the recently approved spec for containers, container (image) builds are
>> no longer under the control of tripleo; by kolla. Where does this leave
>> diskimage-builder as a project under tripleo?  I specifically ask, because I'm
>> wanting to start down the path of using diskimage-builder as an interface to
>> containers.
>>
>> Basically, is it time to move diskimage-builder out from the tripleo project
>> into another, or its own? Or is tripleo wanting to more forward on development
>> efforts on diskimage-builder.
>
> Looking at stats on who is actively contributing into DIB:
> http://stackalytics.com/?module=diskimage-builder
>
> It seems that we have some folks from infra and some folks on dib
> only, and a few contributors from TripleO.
>
> I guess the best option is to ask DIB contributors: do you want to own
> the project you're committing to?
> If not, is it something that should stay in TripleO (imo no) or move
> into openstack-infra (imo yes, if infra agrees).
>
> With my PTL hat, I'm really open to this thing and I wouldn't mind to
> transfer ownership to another group.

I was under the impression it was already it's own project team based on:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-July/099805.html

It looks like the change was never made in governance however.

The reason I -1'd Paul's TripleO spec and suggested it be proposed to
diskimage-builder was due to:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-June/098560.html and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/336109/

I just want to make sure the right set of reviewers who are driving
dib development see the spec proposal.

--
-- James Slagle