[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Adding new deliverables

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jan 11 11:38:55 UTC 2017

Thierry Carrez wrote:
> [...]
> The fact that you're having hard discussions in Kolla about "adding new
> deliverables" produced by distinct groups of people indicates that you
> may be using Kolla as an old-style "program" rather than as a single
> team. Why not set them up as separate project teams ? What am I missing
> here ?

Answering my own question using Michał's previous answer in the thread:

Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> Having single Kolla umbrella has practical benefits which I would hate
> to lose quite frankly. One of which would be that Kolla is being
> evaluated by lot of different companies, and having full separation
> between projects would make navigation of a landscape harder.

That sounds like you're building a "Kolla" brand and afraid that a more
distributed project structure would hurt that... So this is going a bit
against the grain of the OpenStack project structure (which is designed
to facilitate people to openly collaborate, not really to create
sub-brands).

Also when you say companies evaluate "Kolla", in the end don't they
choose one of the kolla-* flavors to deploy, rather than "Kolla" ? It
feels like multiple projects could depend on Kolla images (which
everyone seems to be very happy with) without breaking that ?

> Another reason is single community which we value - there is no full
> separation even between kolla-ansible and kolla-k8s (ansible still
> generates config files for k8s for example), and further separation of
> projects would hurt cooperation, and I don't think we've hit situation
> when it's necessary. I'm not ready to have this discussion yet, and
> I'm personally quite opposed to this.

Wondering if this lack of separation is an artifact of the
single-project-team model you picked, rather than a reason to keep it...
Stronger contracts and proper decomposition of roles sounds like a
worthwhile goal ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)