[openstack-dev] Which service is using port 8778?

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Wed Jan 11 06:41:57 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Ghanshyam Mann <
ghanshyam.mann at nectechnologies.in> wrote:
[snip]

> But OpenStack port used by services are maintained here[3], may be it will
> be good for each project to add their port in this list.

[snip]

> ..[3] http://docs.openstack.org/newton/config-reference/
> firewalls-default-ports.html

I know this thread has moved on, but I'm not sure a list of default ports
for a firewall is the right place to be documenting this.

If there are admin services that perhaps should not, by default, be exposed
publicly - then they shouldn't be listed in such a table.  A simple
implementation might be to expose all of these, which would not be the most
secure default.

Perhaps the equivalent of /etc/services or
http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml
specifically for OpenStack might be better.

Hope this helps,

Michael...
Michael Davies   michael at the-davies.net
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia