[openstack-dev] [telemetry] [ceilometer] [panko] ceilometer API deprecation

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Tue Jan 10 15:14:47 UTC 2017

On 10 Jan 2017, at 15:21, gordon chung <gord at live.ca<mailto:gord at live.ca>> wrote:

On 10/01/17 07:27 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
On Mon, Jan 09 2017, William M Edmonds wrote:

I started the conversation on IRC [5], but wanted to send this to the
mailing list and see if others have thoughts/concerns here and figure out
what we should do about this going forward.

Nothing? The code has not been removed, it has been moved to a new
project. Ocata will be the second release for Panko, so if user did not
switch already during Newton, they'll have to do it for Ocata. That's a
lot of overlap. Two cycles to switch to a "new" service should be enough.

well it's not actually two. it'd just be the one cycle in Newton since
it's gone in Ocata. :P

that said, for me, the move to remove it is to avoid any needless
additional work of maintaining two active codebases. we're a small team
so it's work we don't have time for.

as i mentioned in chat, i'm ok with reverting patch and leaving it for
Ocata but if the transition is clean (similiar to how aodh was split)
i'd rather not waste resources on maintaining residual 'dead' code.

cheers,
--
gord

What’s also good is that Panko has equivalent function for Puppet and RPMs:

- https://github.com/openstack/puppet-panko
- https://www.rdoproject.org/documentation/package-list/

In the past, these equivalent functions have sometimes lagged the code release so it’s great to see the additional functions there.

Tim