[openstack-dev] [nova] nova-api-metadata managing firewall

Sam Morrison sorrison at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 03:33:37 UTC 2017

Hi nova-devs,

I raised a bug about nova-api-metadata messing with iptables on a host

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1648643 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1648643>

It got closed as won’t fix but I think it could do with a little more discussion.

Currently nova-api-metadata will create an iptable rule and also delete other rules on the host. This was needed for back in the nova-network days as there was some trickery going on there.
Now with neutron and neutron-metadata-proxy nova-api-metadata is little more that a web server much like nova-api.

I may be missing some use case but I don’t think nova-api-metadata needs to care about firewall rules (much like nova-api doesn’t care about firewall rules)

Thanks,
Sam