[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Scale deployment

Srikanth Vavilapalli srikanth.vavilapalli at ericsson.com
Mon Jan 9 00:28:05 UTC 2017

Hi

Can anyone plz point me to any document that captures how Ceilometer can be deployed in a scaled environment?

I found in different documentation that Ceilometer can be configured for scaled environment (as below), but could not find a unified document that covers all the details together for ceilometer deployment in a scaled environment:

-          More than one rabbitmq servers is deployed for faster data collection

-          More than one Notification agents can be deployed with "workload_partitioning" enabled for faster data fetching from rabbitmq

-          Enabling multiple pipeline processing queues "pipeline_processing_queues" for faster pipeline processing

-          Deploying database cluster on separate nodes with sharding and replica-sets enabled

My questions are:

1.       How to determine the number of ceilometer-agent-notification that I should deploy? For example I have 3 node environment to deploy ceilometer where a 3-node RabbitMq cluster is running. Should I deploy three ceilometer-agent-notification each of them pointing to 3-node rabbitmq cluster or can I deploy 1 or 2 notification agents that can fetch the messages from rabbitmq nodes? Is there any guidline for this?

2.       How do the ceilometer-agent-notification distribute the received messages from rabbitmq among themselves? Is it round robin among all messages or share the load at rabbitmq exchange levels? For example if rabbitmq cluster is deployed with N number of exchanges where telemetry data is sent equally among all these exchanges, can I partition the rabbitmq exchanges such that each notification agents process a subset of exchanges?

3.       Do I need to deploy "ceilometer-collector" daemon also in multiples in order to handle the load coming from ceilometer-agent-notifications and to write to database replicas?

Appreciate your inputs...

Thanks
Srikanth