[openstack-dev] [kolla] Multi-Regions Support

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:42:46 UTC 2017

On 01/06/2017 03:23 PM, Sam Yaple wrote:
> This should be read as MariaDB+Galera for replication. It is a
> highly-available database.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Galera. :) However, what the poster
is really working towards is an implementation of the VCPE and eVCPE use
cases for ETSI NFV. These use cases require a highly distributed compute
fabric that can withstand long disruptions in network connectivity
(between POPs/COs and the last mile of network service) while still
being able to service compute and network functions at the customer premise.

Galera doesn't tolerate network disruption of any significant length of
time. At all. If there is a Keystone services running on the customer
premise that is connecting to a Galera database, and that Galera
database's connectivity to its peers is disrupted, down goes the whole
on-premise cloud fabric. And that's exactly what I believe the original
poster is attempting to avoid. Thus my not understanding the choice here.

Best,
-jay