[openstack-dev] [kolla] Multi-Regions Support

Sam Yaple samuel at yaple.net
Fri Jan 6 20:23:23 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 8:01 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/05/2017 09:12 AM, Ronan-Alexandre Cherrueau wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> TL;DR: We make a multi-regions deployment with Kolla. It requires to
>> patch the code a little bit, and you can find the diff on our
>> GitHub[1]. This patch is just a first attempt to support multi-regions
>> in Kolla and it raises questions. Some modifications are not done in
>> an idiomatic way and we do not expect this to be merged in Kolla. The
>> reminder of this mail explains our patch and states our questions.
>>
>> At Inria/Discovery[2], we evaluate OpenStack at scale for the
>> Performance Working Group. So far, we focus on one single OpenStack
>> region deployment with hundreds of computes and we always go with
>> Kolla for our deployment. Over the last few days, we tried to achieve
>> a multi-regions OpenStack deployment with Kolla. We want to share with
>> you our current deployment workflow, patches we had to apply on Kolla
>> to support multi-regions, and also ask you if we do things correctly.
>>
>> First of all, our multi-regions deployment follows the one described
>> by the OpenStack documentation[3].
>>

> I don't see an "Admin Region" as part of the OpenStack documentation for
> multi-region deployment. I also see LDAP mentioned as the recommended
> authentication/IdM store.
>
> > Concretely, the deployment
>
>> considers /one/ Administrative Region (AR) that contains Keystone and
>> Horizon.
>>

> That's not a region. Those should be shared resources *across* regions.
>
> > This is a Kolla-based deployment, so Keystone is hidden
>
>> behind an HAProxy, and has MariaDB and memcached as backend.
>>

> I thought at Inria, the Nova "MySQL DB has been replaced by the noSQL
> system REDIS"? But here, you're using MariaDB -- a non-distributed database
> -- for the Keystone component which is the very thing that is the most
> highly distributed of all state storage in OpenStack.

This should be read as MariaDB+Galera for replication. It is a
highly-available database.

> [...]
>> the deployment:
>>
>> Admin Region (AR):
>> - control:
>>   * Horizon
>>   * HAProxy
>>   * Keyston
>>   * MariaDB
>>   * memcached
>>

> Again, that's not a region. Those are merely shared services between
> regions.
>

> OpenStack Region x (OSRx):
>> - control:
>>   * HAProxy
>>   * nova-api/conductor/scheduler
>>   * neutron-server/l3/dhcp/...
>>   * glance-api/registry
>>   * MariaDB
>>   * RabbitMQ
>>
>> - compute1:
>>   * nova-compute
>>   * neutron-agent
>>
>> - compute2: ...
>>
>> We do the deployment by running Kolla n+1 times. The first run deploys
>> the Administrative Region (AR) and the other runs deploy OpenStack
>> Regions (OSR). For each run, we fix the value of `openstack_region_name'
>> variable to the name of the current region.
>>
>> In the context of multi-regions, Keystone (in the AR) should be
>> available to all OSRs. This means, there are as many Keystone
>> endpoints as regions. For instance, if we consider two OSRs, the
>> result of listing endpoints at the end of the AR deployment looks like
>> this:
>>

>>  $ openstack endpoint list
>>
>>  | Region | Serv Name | Serv Type | Interface | URL
>>  |--------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-------------
>> -----------------|
>>  | AR     | keystone  | identity  | public    |
>> http://10.24.63.248:5000/v3  |
>>  | AR     | keystone  | identity  | internal  |
>> http://10.24.63.248:5000/v3  |
>>  | AR     | keystone  | identity  | admin     |
>> http://10.24.63.248:35357/v3 |
>>  | OSR1   | keystone  | identity  | public    |
>> http://10.24.63.248:5000/v3  |
>>  | OSR1   | keystone  | identity  | internal  |
>> http://10.24.63.248:5000/v3  |
>>  | OSR1   | keystone  | identity  | admin     |
>> http://10.24.63.248:35357/v3 |
>>  | OSR2   | keystone  | identity  | public    |
>> http://10.24.63.248:5000/v3  |
>>  | OSR2   | keystone  | identity  | internal  |
>> http://10.24.63.248:5000/v3  |
>>  | OSR2   | keystone  | identity  | admin     |
>> http://10.24.63.248:35357/v3 |
>>

> There shouldn't be an AR region. If the Keystone authentication domain is
> indeed shared between OpenStack regions, then an administrative user should
> be able to hit any Keystone endpoint in any OpenStack region and add
> users/projects/roles, etc. to the shared Keystone data store (or if using
> LDAP, the admin should be able to add a user to ActiveDirectory/ApacheDS in
> any OpenStack region and have that user information immediately show up in
> any of the other regions).
>
> Jay I also picked up on a bit of terminology misuse. There were a few
other bits that were not great. I can't speak for everyone else, but I do
share your concerns about some of this, but I was going to save those
comments for gerrit reviews once the code was rebased to master. I feel
confident this can all work for proper Multi-Region support, though not
as-is.

Thanks,
SamYaple