[openstack-dev] [nova] Let's kill quota classes (again)

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:22:10 UTC 2017

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 12:15:34 -0500, William M Edmonds wrote:
> Why would someone need to change the defaults via REST API calls? I
> agree that we should plan for that now if we think that will eventually
> be needed, but I'm not seeing why it would be needed.

The REST API already allows people to change quota defaults. There are
also quota defaults config options. When a quota default is changed via
the REST API, an entry for the default is made in the DB and is used
from then on and the config option is never used again. If a quota
default has never been changed via the REST API, it can be changed via
the config option. Defaults are looked for in order 1) DB 2) config option.

This is confusing and we've been discussing getting rid of one of the
methods for changing quota defaults. We're thinking to keep the REST API
and ditch the config options, because the REST API (and thus DB)
provides a central place for the defaults. It takes one call to the REST
API to affect a quota default change everywhere. With the config
options, if you wanted to change a default, you'd have to change the
configs on all of your API hosts any time you did it, and synchronize that.

-melanie