[openstack-dev] [heat] glance v2 support?

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Jan 6 07:26:40 UTC 2017

On 6 Jan 2017, at 05:04, Rabi Mishra <ramishra at redhat.com<mailto:ramishra at redhat.com>> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com<mailto:emilien at redhat.com>> wrote:
Greetings Heat folks!

My question is simple:
When do you plan to support Glance v2?
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/240450/

The spec looks staled while Glance v1 was deprecated in Newton (and v2
was started in Kilo!).

Hi Emilien,

I think we've not been able to move to v2 due to v1/v2 incompatibility[1] with respect to the location[2] property. Moving to v2 would break all existing templates using that property.

I've seen several discussions around that without any conclusion.  I think we can support a separate v2 image resource and deprecate the current one, unless there is a better path available.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Glance-v2-v1-client-compatability
[2] https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/heat/engine/resources/openstack/glance/image.py#L107-L112

Would this be backwards compatible (i.e. the old image resource would still work without taking advantage of the new functions) or would heat users have to change their templates?

It would be good if there is a way to minimise the user impact.

Tim

As an user, I need Glance v2 support so I can remove Glance Registry
from my deployment. and run pure v2 everywhere in my cloud.

Thanks for your help,
--
Emilien Macchi

Regards,