[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Jan 5 17:21:38 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

Our first meeting for 2017 opened with a bang. Lots of people in attendance to talk about the ongoing adventure of trying to improve the handling of the concept of visibility in Glance. If we had had more time we could have continued talking about it for a long time. We touched on issues of backwards compatibility in the face of semantic confusion, microversions, the value and strength of guidelines, and the impact of API changes on users. The current blocking issue is described at https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/glance-ocata-community-images-api-stability . We mostly agreed that the long term satisfaction of all users, existing and future, trumps anything else. Further discussion will continue on the review mentioned in the etherpad: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/412731/

We also had some pretty strenuous discussion about the pagination review at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/390973/ but ran out of time before getting into any true discussion of the capabilities review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/ .

All of this suggests we've got some useful work to look forward to.

# Newly Published Guidelines

Nothing new

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

None at the moment, but you are always very welcome to review stuff in the next section.

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Add guidelines on usage of state vs. status
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411528/

* Add guidelines for boolean names
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411529/

* Clarify the status values in versions
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411849/

* Define pagination guidelines
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/390973/

* Add API capabilities discovery guideline
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are faciing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!