[openstack-dev] [tripleo] [ci] TripleO-Quickstart Transition to TripleO-CI Update and Invite:

Attila Darazs adarazs at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 16:22:08 UTC 2017

On 01/04/2017 10:34 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> Hi Harry,
>
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 04:04:51PM -0500, Harry Rybacki wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>>
>> Folks have been diligently working on the blueprint[1] to prepare
>> TripleO-Quickstart (OOOQ)[2] and TripleO-Quickstart-Extras[3] for
>> their transition into TripleO-CI. Presently, our aim is to begin the
>> actual transition to OOOQ on 4-Feb-2017. We are tracking our work on
>> the RDO-Infra Trello board[4] and holding public discussion of key
>> blockers on the team’s scrum etherpad[5].
>
> Thanks for the update - can you please describe what "transition into
> TripleO-CI" means?

Hello Steve,

This means we're trying to run all the gate jobs with Quickstart and
make sure we have the same features enabled and results for each
existing gate jobs.

> I'm happy to see this work proceeding, but we have to be mindful that the
> end of the development cycle (around the time you're proposing) is always
> a crazy-busy time where folks are trying to land features and fixes.
>
> So, we absolutely must avoid any CI outages around this time, thus I get
> nervous talking about major CI transitions around the Release-candate
> weeks ;)
>
> https://releases.openstack.org/ocata/schedule.html
>
> If we're talking about getting the jobs ready, then switching over to
> primarily oooq jobs in early pike, that's great, but please lets ensure we
> don't may any disruptive changes before the end of this (very short and
> really busy) cycle.

As I see the early pike is only 2 week away from our planned switch, it
might be wiser to delay it indeed. The end-of-cycle stability might be
even useful for us to run some new jobs parallel for a while if we have
enough resources.

>> We are hosting weekly transition update meetings (1600-1700 UTC) and
>> would like to invite folks to participate. Specifically, we are
>> looking for at least one stakeholder in the existing TripleO-CI to
>> join us as we prepare to migrate OOOQ. Attend and map out job/feature
>> coverage to identify any holes so we can begin plugging them. Please
>> reply off-list or reach out to me (hrybacki) on IRC to be added to the
>> transition meeting calendar invite.
>
> Why can't we discuss this in the weekly TripleO IRC meeting?
>
> I think folks would be fine with having a standing item where we dicscuss
> this transition (there is already a CI item, but I've rarely seen this
> topic raised there).

I agree that we should have a standing item about this in the TripleO
meeting, however this transition meeting usually takes an hour a week in
itself, so we cannot really fit it into the TripleO meeting.

Also why we ask somebody well versed in the TripleO CI to join us is
that we might get answers to questions we didn't even know we had. There
are probably shortcuts and known workarounds to what we're trying to
achieve in the upstream system that we're not familiar with.

Also the discussion is focused on Quickstart (for example how to develop
some roles that unify different workloads like OVB and nodepool), so it
wouldn't be relevant for the TripleO meeting entirely.

Thus the request still stands, I think we could get a big help with
somebody familiar with the CI system. This should be a once a week
meeting for only the following 3-6 weeks.

We will make a short status from now on about the current state of the
transition on the TripleO meetings though.

Thank you for your thoughts,
Attila