[openstack-dev] [tripleo] [ci] TripleO-Quickstart Transition to TripleO-CI Update and Invite:

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 16:16:57 UTC 2017

Greetings Steve

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 4:34 AM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Harry,
>
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 04:04:51PM -0500, Harry Rybacki wrote:
> > Greetings All,
> >
> > Folks have been diligently working on the blueprint[1] to prepare
> > TripleO-Quickstart (OOOQ)[2] and TripleO-Quickstart-Extras[3] for
> > their transition into TripleO-CI. Presently, our aim is to begin the
> > actual transition to OOOQ on 4-Feb-2017. We are tracking our work on
> > the RDO-Infra Trello board[4] and holding public discussion of key
> > blockers on the team’s scrum etherpad[5].
>
> Thanks for the update - can you please describe what "transition into
> TripleO-CI" means?

Hey Steve,
This includes items like the following.

* Move all oooq-extras roles upstream
* Ensure check gates are all working.
* Ensure oooq works with multinode nodepool
* Ensure the logging of jobs upstream with oooq is equivilant to the
current logs and familiar to devs
* Ensure the existing tripleo-ci can co-exist with oooq
* Ensure the documentation is clear for developers
* Ensure oooq-extras roles are composable and consistent across various
infrastructure like upstream,
rdo, internal, local builds.

> I'm happy to see this work proceeding, but we have to be mindful that the
> end of the development cycle (around the time you're proposing) is always
> a crazy-busy time where folks are trying to land features and fixes.
>
> So, we absolutely must avoid any CI outages around this time, thus I get
> nervous talking about major CI transitions around the Release-candate
> weeks ;)
>
> https://releases.openstack.org/ocata/schedule.html
>
> If we're talking about getting the jobs ready, then switching over to
> primarily oooq jobs in early pike, that's great, but please lets ensure we
> don't may any disruptive changes before the end of this (very short and
> really busy) cycle.

That sounds fair to me, would pushing out the transition a couple weeks be
a reasonable change?
Looking at the calendar, Feb 27 is after the release of Ocata also March
6th could also be an option.

> > We are hosting weekly transition update meetings (1600-1700 UTC) and
> > would like to invite folks to participate. Specifically, we are
> > looking for at least one stakeholder in the existing TripleO-CI to
> > join us as we prepare to migrate OOOQ. Attend and map out job/feature
> > coverage to identify any holes so we can begin plugging them. Please
> > reply off-list or reach out to me (hrybacki) on IRC to be added to the
> > transition meeting calendar invite.
>
> Why can't we discuss this in the weekly TripleO IRC meeting?

I've added to the agenda for next week.  Harry and I will fill in details.

> I think folks would be fine with having a standing item where we dicscuss
> this transition (there is already a CI item, but I've rarely seen this
> topic raised there).
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TripleO
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve