[openstack-dev] [all][ptls][tc][goals] community goals for Pike

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 15:39:55 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Emilien Macchi's message of 2016-11-29 19:39:03 -0500:
>
>> 3) Choose Goals for Pike.
>> Some of us already did, but we might want to start looking at what
>> Goals we would like to achieve during Pike cycle.
>> I was thinking at giving a score to the Goals, that could be
>> calculated by its priority (I know it's vague but we know what is
>> really urgent for us versus what can wait 6 months); but also the
>> number of people who are interested to contribute on a Goal (if this
>> Goal doesn't have a team yet).
>> For now, openstack/governance is the repository for Goals, please
>> propose them here.
>
> I have updated the Python 3 goal, previously discussed for Ocata, to
> reflect some of the feedback and prepare it for discussion for Pike.

Thanks, it seems we have 2 good candidates for Pike:

- https://review.openstack.org/#/c/369749/ - split out tempest plugins
(still under review)
- https://review.openstack.org/349069 - Python 3 (seems ready to be merged)

During the TC meeting, we agreed on:
- 2 goals might be enough for Pike cycle.
- the deadline to define Pike goals would be Ocata-3 (Jan 23-27 week).

Looking at the etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/community-goals
We can see some goals require some discussion, about goal scope,
implementation, etc. I would suggest Goal "owners" to communicate over
the mailing-list so we can have pro-active discussion and make
progress on the goals for future cycles.
I'm also adding product-wg list in CC, so they're aware about our efforts again.
Last but not least, we might want to split some goals, that seem to be
"too big" and might want to take baby-steps approach (eg: rolling
upgrades).

Any feedback is welcome,

> https://review.openstack.org/349069
>
> Doug