[openstack-dev] Planning for the Pike PTG

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jan 4 03:56:49 UTC 2017

I haven't been living under a rock but I'm not aware of any major
announcements regarding session planning for the PTG - has that happened
somewhere and I'm just in the dark?

I'm mostly wondering about the Monday and Tuesday cross-project sessions
- are those time-boxed sessions like at the summit and will have a
schedule? Or are we just playing fast and loose and hoping someone will
lead us out of a hallway and into a room for Major Synergy (tm)?

I see project teams are working on getting etherpads together for
topics, including myself, which got me thinking about how to plan the
Wed-Friday sessions which for a midcycle meetup would normally be a list
of topics that we'd go through in order (or by priority) but not
time-boxed or scheduled. But then I got thinking about how the PTG is
right before we start working on Pike, so I'm now thinking we need more
structure than what we did at the midcycles, and more like what we do at
the design summit with respect to scheduled discussions about things
that are going to be worked on in the upcoming release, figuring out
goals, determining review priorities, etc - which is actually a lot more
work to plan and schedule ahead of time, especially when we consider
(vertical) cross-project sessions like between nova/cinder or nova/neutron.

In other words, the fact I haven't had anxiety yet about planning the
PTG makes me anxious that I'm falling way behind already.

Matt Riedemann