[openstack-dev] [all] Adding CONTRIBUTING.rst files to projects

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Jan 3 16:59:24 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> Excerpts from Anne Gentle's message of 2017-01-03 10:26:28 -0600:

> get
> > >
> > > We do not need an rst file, github handles .txt just fine. I see no
> > > reason to move to txt.

> extension
> > >
> > > Works with RST as well for me - I just created a pull request for
> > > cookiecutter and got the contributing link as expected. There's no need
> > > to use txt files.
> > >

> > To wrap this up - I saw different behavior when simply clicking "New Pull
> > Request." The GitHub UI behaves differently for RST files in that
> > particular scenario, prior to the act of comparing branches. But it's not
> > worthwhile to pursue, and is probably simply a bug in GitHub's UI, so
> I've
> > abandoned the cookie-cutter patch.
>
> Ah, that's a case I didn't look at. So you're saying that if we
> call it CONTRIBUTING.txt then it renders on the page where the pull
> request is being created? That does seem like something we want.

What happens is you get a special notification and link to CONTRIBUTING.txt
(or rst, but only after comparing branches) as in this screenshot:

https://postimg.org/image/wple5yudr/

But, based on testing, it's fine to keep what we have (rst) for the
scenarios that work today.

Anne

> Doug
>

> > Anne

> we
> the
> GitHub
> > >
> > > Andreas
> > > --
> > >  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter: jaegerandi
> > >   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
> > >    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
> > >        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
> > >     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272
> A126

Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com