[openstack-dev] [all] Adding CONTRIBUTING.rst files to projects

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Jan 2 17:03:43 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Paul Belanger's message of 2016-12-24 15:23:35 -0500:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 10:17:42AM -0600, Ian Cordasco wrote:

Using include works some places, but not others.

The include directive is a feature of Sphinx, not docutils. We use
Sphinx to convert reStructuredText to HTML for docs.o.o but github does
not use Sphinx when rendering individual reStructuredText files such as
CONTRIBUTING.rst or README.rst.

Since the point of having CONTRIBUTING.rst be a separate file is
to take advantage of the github.com integration to guide potential
contributors to the right forum for their contributions, we need
to ensure that those files render correctly by placing the content
directly into those files.  Then we can have project contributor
documentation use the include directive to avoid duplicating the
information elsewhere.

Doug