[openstack-dev] [third-party][ci] Transition your devstack-gate based CI to local.conf

Mikhail Medvedev mihailmed at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 16:43:07 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 11:12 PM, Nilesh Savant
<Nilesh.Savant at veritas.com> wrote:
> Hello Mikhail,
>

> We are operating CI for Veritas HyperScale, Due to this changes our CI
> started failing,
>

> Could you please help us by providing the sample local.conf file as per new
> changes.
>

> It will be great if you can point us to any of the working CI with your
> changes for reference.

You can find working local.conf files in the logs of OpenStack Infra
CI, e.g. [1]. I am maintaining IBM PowerKVM CI, our current conf is
[2]. For the sake of ml (the logs would expire) a local.conf might
looks like this:

[[local|localrc]]
Q_USE_DEBUG_COMMAND=True
NETWORK_GATEWAY=10.1.0.1
USE_SCREEN=False
DEST=/opt/stack/new
DATA_DIR=/opt/stack/data
ACTIVE_TIMEOUT=90
BOOT_TIMEOUT=90
ASSOCIATE_TIMEOUT=60
TERMINATE_TIMEOUT=60
[[test-config|/opt/stack/new/tempest/etc/tempest.conf]]
[compute-feature-enabled]
interface_attach=False
[compute]
volume_device_name=sdb

To fix your CI you need to stop using localrc, and use
[[local|localrc]] section of local.conf instead. There are a few
things you can do, e.g. use DEVSTACK_LOCAL_CONFIG as suggested by
Clark. What it means is you can try setting it to contain your old
localrc settings: e.g. DEVSTACK_LOCAL_CONFIG=$(< old_localrc_file).
This needs to be done before devstack-gate starts, you can not use it
from pre_test_hook. You should also avoid writing directly to
local.conf. I would not want to give you changes that I made to our CI
because I likely am not using a stable interface.

Please also check the writeup by Sean Dague [3].

I am usually on freenode during US daytime, #openstack-third-party-ci
and #openstack-infra are good places to ask questions.

[1] http://logs.openstack.org/50/438750/1/check/gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full-ubuntu-xenial/d917c7c/logs/local.conf.txt.gz
[2] http://dal05.objectstorage.softlayer.net/v1/AUTH_3d8e6ecb-f597-448c-8ec2-164e9f710dd6/pkvmci/nova/50/438750/1/check/tempest-dsvm-full-xenial/ee1c6b8/local.conf.txt.gz
[3] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-February/112872.html