[openstack-dev] [all][swg] per-project "Business only" moderated mailing lists

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Feb 27 17:35:21 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Dean Troyer's message of 2017-02-27 09:32:09 -0600:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 3:31 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> > This is not for users who only want to see some projects. That is a well
> > understood space and the mailman filtering does handle it. This is for
> > those who want to monitor the overall health of the community, address
> > issues with cross-project specs, or participate in so many projects it
> > makes little sense to spend time filtering.
>
> Monday morning and the caffiene is just beginning to reach my brain,
> but this seems counter-intuitive to me.  I consider myself someone who
> _does_ want to keep in touch with the majority of the community, and
> breaking things into N additional mailing lists makes that harder, not
> easier.  I _do_ include core team updates, mascots, social meetings in
> that set of things to pay a little attention to here, especially
> around summit/PTG/Forum/etc times.
>
> I've seen a couple of descriptions of who this proposal is not
> intended to address, who exactly is expected to benefit from more
> mailing lists?

Thanks for your reply. The proposed change is meant to benefit
readers of openstack-dev who do not have access to, or ability with,
sup/procmail/sieve/IMAP/etc., but do want to be able to be able to keep
up with the general flow of discussion in openstack-dev. We had a room
full of 10 or so cross-project minded folks, and only 3 of us felt that
we could keep up with the discussion threads that we even care about, much
less those that we might care about, but don't have time to even evaluate.

The idea would simply be that those directly involved in a team wouldn't
mind subscribing to a few more ML's to get relevant information about
the day to day workings of a team, but that for most people openstack-dev
would be sufficient.

The response to the suggestion tells me that we don't have agreement that
there is a problem. Perhaps those of us in the SWG room at the time were
simply falling victim to a small sample size and anecdotal data.

So, I'll ask more generally: do you believe that the single openstack-dev
mailing list is working fine and we should change nothing? If not, what
problems has it created for you?

Let's refrain from making suggestions about solutions until we've agreed
on any problems (or the lack thereof, hopefully?)