[openstack-dev] [all][swg] per-project "Business only" moderated mailing lists

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Feb 27 07:41:55 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Shamail Tahir's message of 2017-02-27 00:44:44 -0500:
> Hi Clint,
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:25 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>
> > Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2017-02-26 19:48:50 -0600:

> I'm curious as to how much of the traffic (such as the examples given)
> generates message fatigue on new users but I do appreciate that we are
> trying to find solutions to make it easier to enter into the mailing lists
> around OpenStack without having to resort to digests.

I think it's worth analyzing it, if somebody has time. I do not. My wild
ass guess is between 1 and 5 percent of all messages, but probably more
like 5-10 percent of threads, as a lot of them are the shorter, less
interesting threads.

These seem like small numbers, but cognitive load is not linear and the
number of threads people end up reading varies whether or not they use
tags.

> > > There are likely others. The idea is that these messages would go into a
> > by
> > reject
> >
> In this approach, we could send messages that fall within the ${
> project}-business at lists.openstack.org to the dev ML as well.  This would
> allow people who want only the ${project}-business news to get the content
> without having to get all messages from the dev ML but at the same time
> allow threads to be available to both subscribers (dev and
> ${project}-business}.
>
> I hope we still advocate for subscribing to the openstack-dev mailing list
> even if a contributor is only starting with a single project (and not
> interested in cross-project things) because it allows for people to see
> conversations they might have expertise in or find a new project they want
> to contribute to based on learning something new about it.

Wow, I must have failed in my wording ,sorry about that, because you
got it 100% backwards. The idea is that everyone stays in openstack-dev
for _all_ discussions (single-project as well). Only the most mundane
but necessary emails go on per-project "business lists". So there would
be zero point in ever subscribing to the business lists without also
subscribing to openstack-dev, and likewise, republishing business lists
to openstack-dev would defeat the entire point.