[openstack-dev] [all][swg] per-project "Business only" moderated mailing lists

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Feb 27 00:52:34 UTC 2017

During some productive discussions in the Stewardship Working Group PTG
room, the subject of the mailing list came up. The usual questions
around whether or not we should have per-project lists came up and the
reasons we don't were re-affirmed. To recap those reasons:

  * Cross posting is the pits
  * People don't always know at the beginning of a thread that a
    discussion will need to go wider, leading to silos and confusion.

So we turned to ways to help reduce peoples' load while reading e-mail,
since many (most?) tend to opt out of reading openstack-dev.

There are a number of ways that we can help, including teaching people
to have more efficient workflows and use specific mail reading tools
(don't worry, we're not adding an NNTP gateway.. yet). But one that
received positive feedback from the room was to have moderated
business-only mailing lists for each project.

Basically, there are things that we _do_ know will not go wider when
the thread begins. Just running through the threads on the February

  * Mascots
  * Social meetups
  * Meeting logistics
  * Core team membership

There are likely others. The idea is that these messages would go into a
${project}-business at lists.openstack.org. Said list would be moderated by
a team of the PTL's choosing, and we would admonish moderators to reject
soundly any threads not obviously single project business related.

Thoughts? If this sounds good, I'll go ahead and write up a spec.
(openstack-specs?)