[openstack-dev] [keystone]PKI token VS Fernet token

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Sat Feb 25 03:38:56 UTC 2017

> At last, we still have one question:
> For public cloud, it is very common that multi regions are deployed. And
> the distance is usually very far between the regions. So the transport
> delay is really a problem. Fernet token requires the data must be the same.
> Because of the slow connection and high time delay, in our opinion, it is unrealistic
> that let the keystones from different regions to use the same keystone
> datacenter. Any idea about this problem? Thanks.

There's nothing in Fernet tokens that would cause an issue with the
transportation delay. You could mail the Fernet keys to each region and
you're still fine, why? Because key rotation means that the "next key" is
already in place on every box when you rotate keys. There is a widely held
misconception that all keystone nodes must instantaneously sync keys in
every region or it won't work, that is simply not true. In fact the main
reason we switched to Fernet was to REDUCE the load on our cross-region
replication. Without a database full of tokens to deal with, there's
basically nothing to replicate as joe says below. User/group/role changes
for us was more of a few times a day operation rather than getting a token
which is thousands of times per second.