[openstack-dev] [I18n] Pike PTG Summary
Ian Y. Choi
ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 20:54:17 UTC 2017
I18n team participated in PTG for horizontal discussions with the tight
collaboration of Documentation team on Monday and Tuesday.
Also, there were a few collaboration sessions with Infrastructure, Horizon,
Release Management, and OpenStackAnsible team on Wednesday & Thursday in a
The following is the summary of what I18n team discussed with other project
More details for I18n issues are available at:
1. Documentation / I18n (Monday & Tuesday)
The details of all discussions with Docs & I18n teams are written in:
and I would like to summarize mainly I18n issues (For Documentation topic
summary, please see ).
- For Horizon strings, Documentation team & I18n team identified
: Documentation team wants to implement automated screenshot functionality
for user-guide. Then, stable DevStack
instance would be fine with adding the functionality.
: On the other hand, I18n team wants to implement translation checksite
which requires re-import of translated strings
to review translated strings after around Soft & Hard StringFreezes.
- Agreed that archiving & versioning  translated documents are also the
target with consideration.
- Defined url policy for translated project specific install guides
: https://docs.openstack.org/<deliverable>/<projectname>/<lang>/ (e.g.,
- I18n team will implement to generate translated PDF documents after pdf
implementation spec  is successfully landed.
- I18n team discussed the approach for implementing translation checksite,
I18n contributor guide translation,
considering different release models, and solving Stackalytics
2. Infrastructure + I18n (Wednesday) + OpenStackAnsible + Horizon (Thursday)
- Translation platform ( https://translate.openstack.org ) is now ready for
- There will be upgrade during 2/27 - 3/3. Translation platform might not
work due to upgrade progress.
- openstackid-dev developer will test authentication with Zanata using
https://translate-dev.o.o from next week
- I18n team will automate to propose ATC status rather than current manual
proposal work as extra-ATCs using upgraded translation platform.
- Implementing translation checksite with OpenStackAnsible will be a
feasible solution in OpenStack Infrastructure. I18n team will start to
implement translation checksite using OpenStackAnsible from Pike cycle
(spec  needs to be changed).
- Discussed how to Improve algorithms to match Zanata ID with Launchpad &
Gerrit ID in Stackalytics
3. Horizon I18n collaboration session w/ Release Management team
- Shared current status of I18n team’s translation priority
: I18n team sets the highest priority during Soft & Hard StringFreezes to
include more qualified translated strings
as much as possible for Horizon & Horizon plugin projects.
- I18n team shared Ocata cycle experience: cycle-with-milestone,
cycle-with-intermediary, and cycle-trailing release models
for Horizon plugin projects are not matched with Soft & Hard StringFreeze
- Discussed & drawn a new proposal to consider translations for Horizon
: I18n team will consider Soft & Hard StringFreeze for the projects which
follow cycle-with-milestone release model.
: I18n team will also consider translation with releases for the projects
which follow cycle-with-intermediary release model if they are fine
: I18n team will propose a specification to tag (e.g., with “translate”)
for projects which are the target of translations with managing
stable branches in translation platform.
: For cycle-trailing release models, I18n will consider translations with
managing stable versions in translation platform
if there is I18n cross-project liaison  for the project.
: I18n team will higher priority for projects which have I18n
- I18n team will ask to Zanata development team to automate to create new
stable versions in Zanata, copying master translations over.
I great appreciate all the help and support from especially Alex - Pike
Docs PTL to help successfully land collaboration room with I18n team, and
also many project team contributors to participate in the discussion and
draw nice, and cool approach for better internationalization.
With many thanks,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev