[openstack-dev] [neutron] br-int to use registers instead of ovsdb tags (was: Re: Enable arp_responder without l2pop)

Thomas Morin thomas.morin at orange.com
Wed Feb 22 18:53:59 UTC 2017

Wed Feb 22 2017 11:13:18 GMT-0500 (EST), Anil Venkata:

> While relevant, I think this is not possible until br-int allows to
> match the network a packet belongs to (the ovsdb port tags don't let
> you do that until the packet leaves br-int with a NORMAL action).
>
>     Ajo has told me yesterday that the OVS firewall driver uses
>     registers precisely to do that. Making this generic (and not
>     specific to the OVS firewall driver) would be a prerequisite
>     before you can add ARP responder rules in br-int.
>
> [...] Spoke to Ajo on this. He said we can follow above suggestion i.e
> do the same what firewall driver is doing in br-int, or wait till OVS
> flow extension is implemented(but this will take time as lack of
> resources)

I think using registers instead of ovsdb port tags should be seen as a
common pre-requisite for both ARP responder in br-int and doing the OVS
flow extension work.
So waiting for resource on the later should not be seen as the problem..
although you still need some resource to use register in br-int...

-Thomas