[openstack-dev] [kolla] PTG Day #1 Webex remote participation

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Feb 19 23:44:09 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-19 23:17:27 +0000 (+0000), Serguei Bezverkhi (sbezverk) wrote:
> @Jeremy if you have not tried thelatest webex, then sharing your
> Havana time frame webex experience is not very useful. I think you
> would agree if Havana release had some issues it would not
> automatically mean that newton has them :-)

It may seem that I was complaining about Webex, but really the bulk
of the issues were logistics-related. The way we do large rooms of
in-person participation is hard to capture with a conference call
system: managing local soundboards for all the microphones and
dozens of on-site computers scattered in different rooms, trying to
relay numerous streams over unstable network connections shared by
hundreds of on-site attendees, and the fact that it ends up being a
mostly one-way channel because making it possible for many remote
attendees to interject successfully into in-person conversations
probably requires a different style of discussion altogether.

At a smaller scale, we've successfully conferenced-bridged a couple
of remote participants into Infra team design summit sessions and
mid-cycles where there were between 10 and 20 people on site, but
that's substantially different from declaring the event is able to
support an arbitrary number of remote attendees. I've seen it work
out well in telepresence facilities, but not ad hoc installations
for conferences of the size we're talking about.
--
Jeremy Stanley