[openstack-dev] The end of OpenStack packages in Debian?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sat Feb 18 06:59:34 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2017-02-17 01:54:55 +0100:
> On 02/16/2017 05:55 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2017-02-15 13:43:46 +0100:
> >> All this to say that, unless someone wants to hire me for it (which
> >> would be the best outcome, but I fear this wont happen), or if someone
> >> steps in (this seems unlikely at this point), both the packaging-deb and
> >> the faith of OpenStack packages in Debian are currently compromised.
> >>
> >> I will continue to maintain OpenStack Newton during the lifetime of
> >> Debian Stretch though, but I don't plan on doing anything more. This
> >> means that maybe, Newton will be the last release of OpenStack in
> >> Debian. If things continue this way, I probably will ask for the removal
> >> of all OpenStack packages from Debian Sid after Stretch gets released
> >> (unless I know that someone will do the work).
> >>

> > Thomas, thanks for all your hard work. I hope you can return to it soon
> > and that this serves as a notice that we need more investment to keep
> > OpenStack viable in Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> Yeah, thanks!
>

> > Can I propose that we start to move some of the libraries and things
> > like OpenStack Client into DPMT/DPAT?  They don't require constant
> > attention, and it will be helpful to have a larger team assisting in
> > the packaging where it doesn't require anything OpenStack specific to
> > keep moving forward.
>
> 3rd party libs, maybe. Things like OpenStack client and such may not be
> good candidates, as they interact too much with oslo stuff. Also,
> pushing these packages to a different team wont give you more
> contributors. Last, DPMT/DPAT insist in using git-dpm which is horrible,
> while I've successfully pushed all of the packaging into the OpenStack
> CI, which checks the build on every commit. I consider it a way safer
> and nicer than just the "stupid" Git on Alioth. If you want packages to
> used to do, so that packages are build on git push. I don't have such an
> infrastructure anymore at my disposal, Mirantis even is destroying the
> server I used to work on (at this point in time, the FTP data may even
> already be lost for the older releases...).

Indeed, DPMT uses all the worst choices for maintaining most of the
python module packages in Debian. However, something will need to be
done to spread the load of maintaining the essential libraries, and the
usual answer to that for Python libraries is DPMT.