[openstack-dev] [stable][heat] Heat stable-maint additions

Rabi Mishra ramishra at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 16:37:38 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/15/2017 12:40 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
>
>> Traditionally Heat has given current and former PTLs of the project +2
>> rights on stable branches for as long as they remain core reviewers.
>> Usually I've done that by adding them to the heat-release group.
>>
>> At some point the system changed so that the review rights for these
>> branches are no longer under the team's control (instead, the
>> stable-maint core team is in charge), and as a result at least the
>> current PTL (Rico Lin) and the previous PTL (Rabi Mishra), and possibly
>> others (Thomas Herve, Sergey Kraynev), haven't been added to the group.
>> That's slowing down getting backports merged, amongst other things.
>>
>> I'd like to request that we update the membership to be the same as
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/admin/groups/152,members
>>
>> Rabi Mishra
>> Rico Lin
>> Sergey Kraynev
>> Steve Baker
>> Steven Hardy
>> Thomas Herve
>> Zane Bitter
>>
>> I also wonder if the stable-maint team would consider allowing the Heat
>> team to manage the group membership again if we commit to the criteria
>> above (all current/former PTLs who are also core reviewers) by just
>> adding that group as a member of heat-stable-maint?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Zane.

> Reviewing patches on stable branches have different guidelines, expressed
> here [1]. In the past when this comes up I've asked if the people being
> asked to be added to the stable team for a project have actually been doing
> reviews on the stable branches to show they are following the guidelines,
> and at times when this has come up the people proposed (usually PTLs)
> haven't, so I've declined at that time until they start actually doing
> reviews and can show they are following the guidelines.
>
> There are reviewstats tools for seeing the stable review numbers for Heat,
> I haven't run that though to check against those proposed above, but it's
> probably something I'd do first before just adding a bunch of people.

Would it not be appropriate to trust the stable cross-project liaison for
heat when he nominates stable cores? Having been the PTL for Ocata and one
who struggled to get the backports on time for a stable release as planned,
I don't recall seeing many reviews from stable maintenance core team for
them to be able to judge the quality of reviews. So I don't think it's fair
to decide eligibility only based on the review numbers and stats.

> [1] https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Riedemann