[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Fwd: TripleO mascot - how can I help your team?

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 12:31:00 UTC 2017

On 02/17/2017 12:01 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017, Dan Prince wrote:
>
>> And yes. We are all OpenStack developers in a sense. We want to align
>> things in the technical arena. But I think you'll also find that most
>> people more closely associate themselves to a team within OpenStack
>> than they perhaps do with the larger project. Many of us in TripleO
>> feel that way I think. This is a healthy thing, being part of a team.
>> Don't make us feel bad because of it by suggesting that uber OpenStack
>> graphics styling takes precedent.
>
> I'd very much like to have a more clear picture of the number of
> people who think of themselves primarily as "OpenStack developers"
> or primarily as "$PROJECT developers".
>
> I've always assumed that most people in the community™ thought of
> themselves as the former but I'm realizing (in part because of what
> Dan's said here) that's bias or solipsism on my part and I really
> have no clue what the situation is.
>
> Anyone have a clue?

I don't have a clue, and I don't personally think it matters. But I suspect the
latter is the majority. At least because very few contributors have a chance to
contribute to something OpenStack-wide, while many people get assigned to work
on a project or a few of them.

That being said, I don't believe that the "OpenStack vs $PROJECT" question is as
important as it may seem from this thread :)