[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Fwd: TripleO mascot - how can I help your team?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Feb 16 20:49:14 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-16 15:20:11 -0500 (-0500), Dan Prince wrote:
[...]
> And there is that rub again. There is implied along with this pressure
> to adopt the new logo. If you don't you'll get a blank space as a sort
> of punishment for going your own way. As Monty said directly... they
> want conformance and cohesion over team identity.

There's also an easy out. Pick something, let them use that, and
move on continuing to use whatever other art you want yourself.
That's more or less the direction I took with the Infra team's
"mascot." There was no strong opinion from the team that we even
needed a mascot, and none of the ideas or symbols we'd used in the
past (for which there is existing art) would have met the stated
requirements. So we ran a poll of the various suggestions among our
PTL electorate, and told the foundation to use whatever came up as
the top choice. When they came out with draft artwork, we said go
with it. In the future we very well may still continue to use a gear
or something else on our own; we're not required to brand ourselves
forever as a red velvet ant. That's just something that gets used on
foundation material as far as I'm concerned.

> Read the initial replies on this thread. Almost every single person
> besides (Flavio and Monty) preferred to keep the original TripleO
> mascot. Same thing on the Ironic thread as far as I can tell (those
> devs almost all initially preferred the old mascot before they were
> talked out of it.). And then you wore them down. Keep asking the same
> question again and again and I guess over time people stop caring.

I hope I didn't personally wear anyone down. I'm just attempting to
present impartial facts so that this thread doesn't go entirely off
the rails with conspiracies and blamethrowing.

> Its all just silliness really. Why the foundation got involved in this
> mascot business to begin with and didn't just leave it to the
> individual projects.
[...]

Sure, I felt the same way to a great extent. I just kept in mind
that this came about for a specific purpose, that some people wanted
ideas for art to use on a particular Web site under some pretty
tight design constraints, but that they were attempting to involve
the developer community in that process rather than do it on their
own in a corner somewhere.
--
Jeremy Stanley